Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Another day, Another dollar...

     So it's a "beautiful" rainy Wednesday here in Ottawa, Canada and I am, once again, sitting in my kiosk "working". It's always nice to come onto the blog and start writing. I can get all my thoughts and feelings out. It kind of works like a mental cleansing...

     As part of trying to really start a career as a "writer" of sorts, I have been searching through job postings and posting ads on sites like Kijiji and Craigslist; offering writing services for small fees. I have had a few little bites but nothing really interesting or rewarding but I found a rare little gem today. Someone is looking for a Creative Writer to do some science fiction writing for them. The job is freelance and so they pay by the assignment. I leap into action and wrote out the quickest, yet most professional, response I could and made sure to include a detailed "Writer's Resume" I made last week. I have found that after making that resume, people take me a little more seriously... which is always nice.

     On the resume I have that I worked for a website: http://www.crapculture.ca/. The job was short lasting and it didn't pay but it was experience at least, which is really the most important part at this point. ALWAYS be trying to get more experience when you're starting out...you'll get nowhere without it!

     Crapculture was a great little site that I wrote for back in '09. It came to me in the form of another rare gem on a job posting site. The creator was living in Ottawa and was looking for some volunteer writers for his "new site". The word "volunteer" was a kick in the shin for me since I was unemployed back then but I had always loved writing and thought, "sure, I could give it a shot." The owner contacted me asking for a sample of writing and, after looking through the articles currently on the site, I decided to do a movie review on "Drag Me To Hell". He ended up really enjoying it and set up a nice shiny acount for me on the site as well as a nice little profile and some light bragging rights that I was at least writing for a site. It felt good that someone enjoyed my writing and wanted more. I wrote from September to January when the original excitement wore off and I realized the site was gaining any more then its usually 300 viewers and only 3 of the 6-7 writers were even writing on a regular basis. I had a biography on Dallas Green, a Canadian idol of mine and overall amazing musician, which recieved around 5000 views but the overall traffic coming to the site hit an alltime low and I decided to leave. The writers were great people and the site was a great idea but it just wasn't working very well.

     So, that's the little story of my first and only (so far) experience writing for a real website. I'm still friends with the writers and creator and they fill me in on how the site's going on a regular basis. Sorry for the jumbled mess of a post. This kind of started out as a mention of today's little findings but turned into the story of crapculture. Keep on writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment